Friday, February 27, 2009

Sunday, February 8

My mom loves to create. As a child I held a bittersweet feelings toward her handmade creations. Secretly, I was in awe that she could sit down at the sewing machine or crochet and in less that an hour have a finished garment in her hand. On the other hand, I dreaded wearing label-less clothes to school and funnily enough thought of them as "common", for lack of a better word (I know, I was a little snot). As an adult though, I have a longing for things handmade. I pressured Grandma Beth into making one more "chicken blanket" nudging her with guilt that my baby just couldn't come into the world without the same blanket we had as children. I cajoled my mom into crocheting dresses and hats, costumes and booties for both my little ones. My mother-in-law even got us a handmade bed set for a wedding gift. Each of these, I cherish. In my mind's eye, handmade is synonymous with quality and genuineness, talent and love, and I want my children to be literally and figuratively wrapped in all these qualities. 

I was only too happy then when my mom volunteered to make Kennedy's baby blessing dress. She made Claire's as well and I wouldn't have had it any other way. The dress was lovely and suited Kennedy and her budding self perfectly. The morning of the blessing as I dressed Kennedy in her handmade gown I couldn't wait to hear her trailormade blessing. And indeed, there was nothing "common" about it. Dave and the men in the circle held my "uncommon" baby and blessed her with the ability to:



remember

lead righteously during stress and trial

build her own character

learn and understand

have a positive attitude in times of tribulation

feel and give hope, happiness and peace

know Jesus Christ

be healthy and strong

help others know the Savior


14 comments:

LeolaniNYC said...

what beautiful craftmanship! it's not surprising you come from a talented family!

Anonymous said...

I just want you guys to know how much I love and appreciate your examples! That brought a tear to my eye, what two blessed little daughters to have such amazing parents. You mom does have a gift wow!

Charmaine Anderson said...

Oh yes, your mom and I have had many happy sewing experiences together. We had our little haunts where we would buy lace and cheap fabrics. We could make a T-shirt for 50 cents and a beautiful dress for less than $5.00. Is sewing going to be a lost art? Is the modern woman going to want to express herself in this way ever again? For your mother and me a lot of it was about saving money and still having beautiful things. sewing was a practical artists expression for women in our day with lots of kids and a home that needed decorating on a budget. We were lucky enough not to have to go to work when you were small so it gave us the time we needed to sew and create. Maybe modern women like you who have mothers and grandmothers who will sew for you don't need to learn. Maren doesn't sew either. How is it that we didn't pass on the desire to our daughters? I think you articulated the reason for your lack of appreciation. By the time you realized the value it was past the learning time. Maren received a sewing machine for Christmas. She has a patchwork quilt cut out and ready to sew right now (will she find the time to do it?) So, maybe it's not too late.

Lindsey Smith said...

What a sweet blessing, it made me cry. That dress is so perfect, there is nothing like home made goods. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

What a special dress for a special girl! I've often thought of trying to improve my sewing skills, but when to find the time? Maybe if we didn't have a tv, I would come home after work and sew?? Kennedy's blessing is touching.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keri and Aaron said...

Beautiful blessings, I wish we could have been there. Beautiful dress to go along with it. Kennedy looks so cute. It's fun to see pictures of her, thanks for posting! You have to bring her with you if/when you come visit.

Keri and Aaron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

that dress is absolutely amazing. what a special time and a special blessing!

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

Beautiful dress-- beautiful Kennedy. She looks like she's concentrating so hard in that second one. I can't wait to see Amie's pics of the girls.

Lillie said...

I'm so sad I missed her blessing (I was late--- what a lame reason I know)... I heard the actual blessing was especially beautiful.

Kassie said...

Tara, I don't know how i missed this post but what a beautiful blessing! Thank you so much for sharing. The dress is amazing and K looks SO darling! xxoo

Nate and Tasha said...

The dress is so beautiful! Your mom is amazing!

Nate and Tasha said...

The dress is so beautiful! Your mom is amazing!