Saturday, March 1, 2008

See You in Another Life, Brother

Friday night I watched Thursday's LOST and I am still speechless. It is unreasonable how much I adore this show. Despite last years intolerably long winter hiatus and this years commitment to only 13 episodes, I am unwaveringly hooked. Dave is always begging for answers and "The Constant" finally gave us some—of the supernatural variety. **Spoiler Alert!** During this episode we find out that Desmond is able to travel through time, or at least his consciousness is, due to some puzzling "side effects" that occur when traveling to and from the island and the high level of electromagnetic exposure he received when the hatch blew up. Although his ability to travel through time could be particularly helpful in sleuthing out the mysteries of the island, at present it is a short death sentence. In order to stabilize Desmond is instructed to find his "constant", a link from his past to his future or an anchor in time.

In true form, Desmond selects Penny—his once scorned love. The episode takes us on a hair raising jog back and forth from 1996 to 2004 as Desmond attempts to ensure that Penny will be at a certain space in time when he needs it. I was biting my nails to the last minute. Ring, ring, ring—will Penny ever pick up the phone? And then she does (my tears were flowing freely at this point) and then LOST did what LOST does best, unfolds a human drama that was believable, moving, beautifully written and acted. Proving for the umpteenth time, that LOST is so much more than Sci-Fi and just might be the best drama on TV ever.

If you are not watching you must start. It is never too late to become a Lostie. If you did watch, did you love it as much as I did? Last note, and sorry Dave, if anything goes wrong with my plan Desmond Hume will be MY constant.

13 comments:

top knot extensions said...

You are nuts!!! Brian loves that show also. It has way to many things to think about in one single hour for me, it just gives me a headache!!!

Anonymous said...

Mush gets me every time, so of course I loved the ending scene between Des and Penny. However I am still puzzling over how Kate ended up with Claire's baby??

Unknown said...

We actually just (today) finished the last few episodes of Lost, including this one. A mere five months after we started, in the hospital when E was born. I don't know how I'm going to handle the suspense now that I can't just flip to the next episode!

Kassie said...

I couldn't stop talking about last weeks episode...all week I kept saying "Aaron, are you kidding me, Aaron??" what in the world will they think of next? We are seriously hooked!

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

Best. Episode. Ever. That was by far the biggest payoff in LOST history as far as I'm concerned-- so meaty, so delicious. I feel like I have facts to chew on for weeks. Did you read about it on the lost blog? (link to it from my page.) I heart LOST.

Julie said...

I agree -- very, very good last week. But, personally, I preferred the week before. The whole Kate has Aaron thing has me tuned in for the duration of the series.

The Jackson Three said...

we did watch it, and did like it...but I am left every week wondering "what can possible happen next week" and knowing that I'll never have all the answers!

AJP said...

Tara-
I'm with you! The last episode was A-Mazing! I can't wait for tomorrow night! So I have a theory...It ties into time travel and Huryley seeing Charlie...Jack seeing his dad...Lock seeing his dad...and Walt visiting Lock...You ready? (by the way this is what has been stewing in my brain during my down moments) Ben knows about the time travel...he has found some what to find an anchor, that is how he is able to manipulate people by bringing back past relationships...hence all the moolah...Second, Hurley keeps seeing Charlie...did Charlie really die? What if he miraculously survived? Still on the island with Charlie and those left behind is our genius who taught Desmond about time travel. He is sending Charlie to Hurley to come and rescue them b/c somehow Ben has shared his secret to the six who left and they are keeping it secret to protect the rest of the human race. So there is my hand...if I'm right...let it be written, let it be said...proof on tnd's blog.

Ala Family said...

I am so addicted to this show too!

T said...

I am sorry, you don't know me. We have a mutual friend, Charmaine Anderson. I couldn't help but comment on this post, so don't think I am crazy! I have been a "Lostie" from day 1. I have since gotten my husband's sister and her husband, his brother, his parents and my sister and her husband HOOKED on it. I about lost it when Des and Penny were on the phone and they were almost finishing each others sentences at the end. Powerful scene and I will die if they don't ultimately find each other again! Again, sorry for butting my nose in to your ever so cute blog, but when you talk about Lost, I can't help myself. :)

Nate and Tasha said...

We have been true fans from the beginning. I heard they had 7 seasons planned out from the beginning. I was flabergasted when I heard this during Season 2. I couldn't imagine how they could make it last that long and stay intriguing, but what was I to worry about - it is great! We love it.

Kaedi said...

I could watch that phone convo between Desmond and Penny forever. So touching. Loved it. I'm such a Lostie, too. Marc just informed me that in real life Kate and Charlie used to be an item. What? Not Jack? What was she thinking, and why didn't I know about it?

MnS said...

Lost has me lost. I love watching it and it has me hooked but I find myself feeling frustrated again and again because when one question is answered, 10 more are looming.