Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tara's #2 The Summer of the Boat

Everyone knows a car, specifically a large car, is absolutely incongruous with NYC way of life (for practical reasons why see my post Why I Heart Dave). While a car is mainly unsuitable for city dwellers on a budget, a boat might be described as heretical (unless of course you are a multi-millionaire, which we aren't, ask our tax accountant—oops, that's Dave, since we can't afford a tax accountant). So how did these two items end up on our doorstep? Enter Dave, my unstoppable husband who had a dream. After spending too many summers in the humid NYC heat with no escape in sight, Dave had had enough. He started by spending countless office hours (thank you for your generosity of spirit NeighborhoodSpice) surfing every website imaginable for a boat. Not any run-of-the-mill boat, mind you, but a top-of-the-line wake board water skiing boat.

The search continued and at last, with Maurice's help (thank you for your generosity of spirit AIG) the perfect piece of equipment was found—a Mastercraft X30. How might you ask could we afford a boat and a truck to pull it if we can't even afford a tax accountant? Good question. I asked the same thing, several times. "Details, details" was about the best response I could get. Once the boat was located, Dave set out hard core to figure out how to work out the other "details". He went to deep and shallow pocket friends first and tried to sell the idea of "The Summer of the Boat". The idea was simple: purchase a time-share boat and truck at the beginning of the season and sell it at the end of the season. Unfortunately, this idea, although sold hard, did not take root.

On to plan B, get Sid (Dave's prosperous, but frugal father) to buy a new truck and a family boat and then let us keep it for the summer. This was going to be an up hill battle and Dave knew he would have to use every Thatcher salesmanship trick in the book to pitch this one to his dad. Salesmanship is akin to a form of art at the Thatcher household. I have literally heard several debates where the Thatcher clan argues over who is the best salesman in the house. And none is as legendary, or as gutsy, of a salesman as Sid himself (ask Dave to tell you the story of Sid's inspiring sales trip to Germany).

I won't get into the miraculous details, but after a week of persistent cold calling Sid, Dave had the go ahead to get the boat and a brand new black GMC crew cab HD2500 to pull it—financed exclusively by Sid. Still to this day, Dave and I marvel about the divine intervention it took to achieve this unbelievable coup. Truck and boat in hand, our summer was off to a brilliant start.

Rather than sweating it out in Central Park, we spent the weekends and many mornings before work in the Hudson River and in upstate NY lakes. The boat even accompanied us to Maine that summer for a glorious Fourth of July with our good friends, the Jensens. Anita, Brent, McClain, Maurice, Lillian, Ian, Laurel and even Cody (outfitted in her doggie life vest) were found sunning themselves or wake boarding, wake surfing or skiing with us on most weekends, but many others joined us too. Those of you who live in wide open spaces and have access to all the recreational devices God intended for man, will never understand the freedom of driving in the skyscraper canyons of NYC in a truck, pulling a 25 foot yellow boat, headed for the nearest body of water. By far, it was the BEST. SUMMER. EVER.

12 comments:

Keri and Aaron said...

Genius. I never knew all the details behind the boat. I guess you really can do whatever you set your heart on. I'll never forget wakeboarding the East river, nor the floating diapers and oily film that covered us as we got out of the water. Unforgettable.

Jill said...

I've heard rumors about this amazing boat. I say, again again!

Charmaine Anderson said...

Hey, I got to ride in that boat. It was fun and the lake setting was beautiful. But you must know your mother worried all summer because you were getting sunburned. Now she is worried about you moving to Palm Springs for the same reason. Mothers are such kill joys. Sunshine vitamin D is very big in the natural health sectors right now...you just need to convince your mother.

Mr. D said...

I wish I would have been here for the summer of the boat, sounded fun.

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

Ah, the yellow boat. That was such a liferaft of sanity for one boy named Ian and for a few Thatchers as well, I dare say. Maine was one of the best trips ever, thanks to that boat and the amazing company.

MnS said...

I love it. This warmed my heart. This is such a Thatcher trait that I absolutely love. Dave should do really well.

Anonymous said...

Dave I knew you were good, I never knew you were that good! Wow you are going to turn ML upside down! Watch out Mark!!!

MaRea Hess said...

There is not a greater time than being on the boat feeling like there is not a care in the world, FREEDOM!!
It was fun the summer we were in Maryland and came up for the weekend to spend with NYC clan. I even loved the boat fat and nine months pregnant .

Kaedi said...

So bummed we didn't live around the corner from you that summer...

Angie said...

I never realized that the boat was all planned just for dave to have a summer boat! haha that is really funny... we were laughing at lunch the other day about it and dad seemed a little sheepish when we all laughed at it. Dave you are GOOD! very impressive

Melissa Thatcher said...

It would have been fun to be there more than just over the phone. Awesome pictures!

Kyle Hess said...

It was pretty cool to tell people we went to NYC and went boating. I am glad that we were able to participate in the summer of the boat.