Thursday, November 5, 2009

Of late...



Dave had a training in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, so the kids and I loaded up the car and went with him. After living in NY for ten years you think that the prospect of doing a city with two kids in tow wouldn't be intimidating, but I assure you it was. We ended up having a really great time and the kids and I managed just fine, although hiking the SF hills while toting a 20-pounder in a Baby Bjorn and pushing a stroller is no easy feat. The weather was perfect, our hotel was situated in the best possible spot (not to mention there were two bedrooms) and the kids were on their almost best behavior. Chinatown, Chrissy Field, the Painted Ladies, Cable Cars, The Exploratorium, The Palace of Fine Arts and The Golden Gate Bridge all fit into our agenda.

A visit to one of my favorite childhood greasy spoons, Sam Wo, proved to be disappointing. I remember loving to visit this busy, multistory Chinese dive with my family of eight. The building is about 10-feet wide and you enter through the crowded kitchen, past woks and chopping blocks and then climb the narrow steps to the first, second or third floor--wherever you can find a table. The food is delivered to your floor in a dumbwaiter and then brought to your table by a crusty server. The crusty server was still present, but the ambiance wasn't quite as bustling as I remembered it (read: no patrons except for one other group who was also reliving childhood memories). And the food--granted who can rely on a 12 year old's taste buds--had deteriorated substantially. CC declared she had to go to the restroom shortly after she arrived and when she got to the standing room only stall started backing out and declared she didn't need to go anymore. They always say things are never as good or as bad as you remember them and I believe this, but I really wanted Sam Wo's to be as good.

And then there was Halloween. Meet Napolean Dynomite and Deb.


The Princess Mouse and The Weeping Lady Bug




15 comments:

Lindsey Smith said...

I love the princess mouse, and the little lady. I have to say you two really could pull of Napolean Dynomite and Deb, a little too well;)

Melissa said...

Fun to see your cute girls - they are getting so big. Fun to see you as Napoleon and Deb - you are awesome.

Lizzie said...

Your trip sounds so fun! I don't think we've taken the kids to a big city yet.

You and Dave were my favorite at the party...loved your costumes. = )

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

You got to be Deb and dance with Napolean? Luck-y!

Charmaine Anderson said...

I think your generation has more nerve than than we ever did with dragging your kids around in strange situations. Especially a city like San Francisco. I think it is great. We hardly dared take our group to dinner. But #3 changes everything. Your pictures are adorable. I enjoy so much being able to see your children grow and change. And you and Dave were awesome on Halloween!

M2B2 said...

Which do you like better, San Fran or NYC? We miss NYC and our awesome neighbors! What fun Halloween costumes?! The girls are too cute, and Napoleon and Deb are just too fun.

MaRea Hess said...

Very cute Halloween pictures, I think I need a few more! Dave makes a great Napolean man. I'm excited to make a trip out San Diego and hang out.

MaRea

Melissa said...

Looks like some fun adventures for your family! Soak it up - it's so hard to take off and do fun things like that when the kids get into school. Not impossible... just harder :)

brooke said...

I am so jealous of your little trip...but you are way more daring than me. I get overwhelmed driving to OC with Sawyer sometimes!
Sawyer couldn't stop talking about Claire, the dancing mouse, he loved her costume. Too cute!

Kaedi said...

Tara, those costumes are awesome! We took the kids back to NYC a few weeks ago and I admit that I was a little worried. It all came back to me though, and in no time I was schlepping the stroller + toddler and baby in carrier like it wasn't no thang at all. I also decided I'd be much thinner if I still lived in that blessed pedestrian city.

Nate and Tasha said...

I love the Napolean dress ups and your kids looked pretty darn cute too! So when are we going to see you guys again. We almost went camping last week to Joshua Tree and were going to stop by (it was a little too cold to camp we decided)

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

Great SF pictures! I'm sad you guys were so close when we were so far away. Seriously though, great snaps! And the Halloween ones are adorable-- Dave's shirt said "Vote for Pedro" right?

Keri and Aaron said...

You guys are hilarious--I LOVE the costumes. Aaron took me to Sam Wo after your wedding oh so many years ago so I could picture it all in my head. I give you props for taking the girls around SF-I think you get the 'workout of the year' award. Glad you had fun!

Katie said...

I have fond memories of SF! Always good to go out for a city adventure. Your costumes were great. I love Dave's wig!

Jennifer said...

Stumbled on to your blog from I don't know where... but I love love love it and I can't stop reading... Your Napoleon and Deb costumes turned out really really great!