Wednesday, May 6, 2009

"I'm Just a Little Girl"

There is one thing that Claire and I completely agree on these days, neither of us want her to grow up. I mentioned in the last post that one of Claire's favorite things to say of late is "No, I am just a little girl". This is her response every time I call her something unusual such as "Sweetie", "Smartie", "Lovey Lou". She even said the other day that she doesn't want to be a princess anymore (Dave was elated) as a preface to "I am just a little girl". At first I thought it was because she wanted to be a baby again like Kennedy, but she has cleared that up every time I call her my baby with the recitation of her mantra, "No, I am just a little girl, Kennedy is a baby."

Maybe she is like me, she just wants things to slow down. I am loving this time, this age, this life. I am not always as satisfied, but for now things are just where I want them--it feels good. I want these moments to last, to stretch out.

I took Claire on a "date" the other day. We went to dinner and she kept yelling out spontaneously, "I'm on a date!" I could have heard it over and over. I couldn't stop myself from grinning. Later that day we drove to Northern California and on a break Dave and I took turns dancing with our girls in a windy star lit parking lot. I could have twirled for hours. This weekend, Kennedy spent an hour in my arms just giggling every time I told her "Do not truffle with me, Kennedy". Yes, I borrowed the phrase from Michael J. Scott and nothing ever seemed so utterly adorable.

Everyone always asks what your favorite age in children is. For me, this is it--4 months and 2 +. I just needed to experience it in tandem.

Side note: I had to attach this photo of Claire. She looks caught between two worlds--so child like and vulnerable, but then grown up.

5 comments:

Shannan said...

I think it is great that you are enjoying your girls now. Sometimes that is the hardest thing, to be content with whatever stage of life we are in. (Loved The Office quote!)

Audry said...

She is a very cute little girl. Enjoy because it does go by way to quickly. I'm in the looking back and wishing I enjoyed my little girl more stage. Pretty soon she'll be 8 and you'll wonder where all the time went.

Karley said...

I agree with you 100% right now. I am loving my two year old, don't want her to ever change from where she is right at this moment. Never in my life have I felt so fulfilled. It is a great feeling huh!

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

There you are, finding delight in each day, inspiring the rest of us. And posting adorable pics to boot. Thank you!

Katie said...

Living in the moment and appreciating the simple joys of motherhood makes life wonderful! The great thing about it is, we are now and forever mothers and will be blessed with all the great moments we have with our family that drown out those challenging moments that all mothers face.