Thursday, July 24, 2008

My Little Angel

I had a doctor's appointment on Tuesday for blood work. Dreading the long wait and then the inevitable prick of the needle, I thought I would take Claire along for a little distraction and company. Knowing that she might prove to be a distraction to everyone, I came armed with her stroller--otherwise know as a restraint device--books, treats and a sippy cup. Much to my surprise Claire was a perfect angel. In the waiting room another couple even pointed her out to their unruly three year as a model child. Of course I was beaming and did a great job of pretending that she is always so calm and peaceful. Much to my pleasure her new found tranquility even lasted into my appointment with the nurse.

The nurse got right down to business and didn't waste any time telling me how well-behaved my Claire was being. I almost pointed it out, but thought that might tip her off that Claire is not always so well-mannered in social situations. The nurse found a vein pronto and jabbed the largest needle into my arm (I have a huge bruise to prove the size it). I flinched and clenched my teeth and then Claire grabbed my attention. She was sitting in her stroller looking very concerned at me and then at the needle and then without any guile on her little face she boldly held up her thin arm and laid it bare for the nurse as if to say "Take me". I am telling you, I don't know if I could have loved my little one any more than I did just then. In that minute, she quit masquerading as a human. My little angel, I love her, love her, love her.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a sweetheart!

I had a condition a year or so ago, where I had to go for blood work each week for months. Ava was much too young to understand, but she would snuggle into my chest which just made it all better.

Thanks for the memories :)

sidandlindaadventures said...

I am amazed at how sensitive she is. It is like she has a sixth sense about what is going on. Completely tuned in spiritually without a word being said.

Jill said...

seriously that is the sweetest thing i've ever heard. she loves her mommy.

Chrissie said...

Awwwww........I love her!

Danielle said...

that brought a tear to my eye, what a sweet story

Charmaine Anderson said...

What a beautiful picture this is...it makes me want to paint it.

Sine family said...

I would agree that she is an angel. How cute is she. We miss you guys. Promise you'll play with us when you come into town.

Suzi said...

Love that story-what a sweet little girl with a tender heart! She must really love her mommy!

Melissa said...

loves her mommy. that is such a sweet story.

LeolaniNYC said...

that is so darling

MnS said...

Her looks alone are angelic but you add her sweet personality and I agree she is such an amazing little girl. I'm so grateful she is so patient with little lo-lo and puts up with roughness.

scrapsidaisy said...

What a sweet doll baby you have there.