Thursday, November 8, 2007

Music To My Ears


A while back, Laurel wrote a post on my dear brother, her husband Ian, and his singing antics around the house (and because evidently trying to link another post to mine is beyond my Gen X mind, you'll just have to image how funny said post was). I loved the blog and reminisced about many such songs I heard while growing up around Ian. We often noted that he could not move without making some sort of sound effect. Since the blog, I have been paying more attention to my personal house soloist, Dave. Dave used to only make up songs for me but now prefers his new audience of Claire. Claire is a little less discerning at this point and doesn't interrupt him (except by oohs and aahs which actually encourage him) or have the ability to quickly leave the room.

This morning I overheard this little ditty from my bed, where I was still trying to get some shut eye, regardless of the fact that Claire had been laid on top of me moments earlier by dad. Claire was in the office with Dave and the song begins,

You crawl here, you crawl there, you crawww-all everywhere (good start, kind of catchy right?)

You look here, you look there, you loo-ook everywhere (I'm liking this, I can picture Claire bouncing to the tune now)

You eat shoes, you eat shoes, nasty fungusy shoes (What, what is she eating? I am almost out of my prolonged reverie at this point.)

With broken toenails, broken toenails, broken TOOOEEENAAAAIIIILS!

I hate to leave you suspended in the middle of Dave's aria, but the song abruptly ended for Claire and me here. I was suddenly wide awake with Claire in my arms, prying said shoe from her mouth and taking her to the kitchen for a real meal.

I always said I like to wake up to music, and you know the universe always gives you what you want, in one way or another.

BTW, the place is rented and it paid for our complete two week vacation to Mexico and California. Not bad, Craig's List.

6 comments:

emily said...

Sweet song by Dave. Sounds like Marty song too.

And YIPPEE that your place is rented while you're gone! We may follow your lead if all goes well with your rental. Have a GREAT time in Mexico. Rememeber though, shop for groceries in the good 'ol US of A. You'll be glad you
did :-) And so will your stomach.

Patrick said...

Do you think Dave will do a repeat of that song down in Mexico? I'd love to hear it.
My kids don't go for the silly singing so much anymore.

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

HILARIOUS! I was laughing out loud! Nice work on renting out the place too! Looks sparkly. Where's your TV in those pics you posted?

Keri and Aaron said...

Nothing like a sweet relaxing serenade to start a morning off right. We hope you are all having a great time in Mexico! We can't wait to see pictures and hear about your trip.

Melissa said...

Whoa! Now that is a song.

I'm interested to hear about the house rental thing too - hope it works out well. SWEET!

Nate and Tasha said...

I love Dave's song, maybe next time you could get a little movie for us all to watch and hear :) Claire is such a cutie and a ball of energy. We had a lot of fun with you guys. See ya in a month!