Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Turn and Burn a Quick 6K in the Park

So Tara doesn't get too smug and think that she is the only one that can whip out a blog from time to time, tonight I write. 98% humidity tonight in Central Park and I decide that I had better get out and turn and burn a 6K in the park. In fact, I start with a warm up from the house which adds another 1/2 mile, but as I hit the park I start to worry about my 6k goal and notice that tonight I am being passed a lot. Hitting Harlem Hill, two girls pass me as they restfully discuss dating. At this point, I would normally be very concerned with my pace, but you should have seen these two girls. They must have been professional runners (see pic #1 for reference of what they looked like). Finally, rounding Museum Mile on mile four and looking like a wet dog that has forgotten to shake, I gear down and put it into overdrive. From behind I hear a similar trot, a heart that is working over time and a determined cadence crawling up on my tail. As you may all well know, you don't give your new found opponent the satisfaction of looking back and then watching them pass. Instead I decided to fight off this intruder and show him, her or it who was boss. As I approached the large Egyptian exhibit I was feeling strong and positive, then the 1-2% grade of the last hill suddenly steepened and the fine tuned athlete over took me on the last 100 yard dash. "Good run" I said without looking up, she then snorted a chuckle out and said "Better luck next time fattie". Looking up this is what I saw, (okay, not exactly what I saw, but very close to it). Tonight the one fat lady runner in the park rolled over me.

6 comments:

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

Aw, Dave. Don't let her get to ya! Life ain't worth livin unless you can sweat yourself a bra, right?

The Jackson Three said...

lol - that would have been a great one to catch on camera somehow!

Patrick said...

Um, that's sad. Just sad. I think you should spend the rest of your fall and winter nights curled up on the couch with a bag of Cheetos. If you can't beat em, join em.

Keri and Aaron said...

Nothing like a little demotivator to get you going, eh?Despair.com here we go... :)

Melissa Thatcher said...

I did lol, the image is hilarious.

Danielle said...

i'm still laughing, you should have been pushing claire's stroller, then you'd have an excuse :)