Wednesday, January 9, 2019

I Almost Titled This Claire Turns 11...

Dear Claire,

This year has been so joyful for you. You just seem comfortable in your skin (except for complaints that your nostrils are too large, which just makes us laugh). You have been easy going and happy for the most part, although you still love to pester your long-suffering sister Kennedy. Her distress does not deter you but makes you even more gleeful.

Transitioning to middle school was nerve wreaking for you over the summer, but as soon as you started it seemed like you had been there forever. You picked up a few more friends this year too, which was a goal you had for yourself. You experienced another first this year when you started the Young Women's program at church. You have liked it alright, but this last week when your best friend Kate moved up was your favorite. You are friendly towards others, but can still be shy on occasion too so having the comfort of a best friend around makes you feel more at ease.
Your Dad calls you and Kennedy his "pioneer girls" because you could easily warp into pioneer times with all your interests. You like to sew, to draw, to cook, and to make up dances and plays. You don't do technology yet, which we love. Your like to get your creative juices flowing and your active imagination guides your activities. You started ballet this past year, which you have loved. It almost makes me feel bad I didn't start you earlier. You danced in the Nutcracker in December as a Polinchinelle. I call you my baby giraffe when you dance because you are all skinny arms and legs. I even caught you hitching up your tights during your performance, but your smile stole the show. You absolutely beamed.

Your Dad also started golfing with you one on one this year. You have gotten up one day a week when it is still dark outside to golf together. You both love this time together and your Dad loves having a side kick for his favorite sport and is so proud of you
. I hope you always remember these mornings together.

Aunt Shari and I took you and Logan to your birth place, New York City, for your twelfth birthdays. I knew I wanted to take you at some point but debated for years over when the best time would be since I wanted you to really love it the first time. I picked right. Twelve was old enough to go all day and young enough to still experience real awe at all the city has to offer. You and Logan loved being together and laughed your way around the entire city. We went to the Met, the Museum of Natural History, the 9/11 Memorial and the Tenement Museum. We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and went to Times Square. We saw two Broadway shows, Wicked and Anastasia. We biked in Central Park and got cookies at Levains and cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery. You and Logan loved counting rats in the subways, bartering in Chinatown and almost getting conned in the subway, not to mention midnight strolls searching for hot dogs in Times Square. As we flew back into Palm Springs, Logan said, "Welcome back to the city that always sleeps." You two were adorable and I think it cemented your childhood friendship.

I love you so, dear one. I hope that you always maintain your cheerful zest for life.

Love,

Mom

No comments: