Thursday, February 18, 2016

And then you turned seven...

My sweet Kennedy,

My love grows bigger for you every year and it feels an eternity older than seven years. You are my ever-faithful companion, my dear girl. When everyone chooses dad, you choose me. I know they love us both and choose the excitement and novelty of spending time with him, but I love that you choose to be by my side. It shows me that you are sensitive and empathetic to even your mother. You can be chatty or you can just sit, be reflective and snuggle with me. I like both sides of you and find you so easy to be around.

This year, I have watched you grow confident in school, not just in your studies which come easy to you and fill you with a lot of excitement, but also with friends. They like you and are drawn to you, but you seem not to know this or doubt it at times. You are learning to recognize signs of friendship and to reciprocate them. This is a process and you have asked to set monthly goals this year working toward developing friendship and overcoming shyness. I like that you are taking control of this and know through handwork and dedication that you can make a different.

You are likewise committed in all that you do. You try hard in everything you do from piano to golf, to reading and tennis. You try to keep up with Claire in everything too. I even see you looking over her shoulder memorizing her vocabulary words. I love that you are not intimidated by the fact that she is two years older than you.

You are Claire and best friends, but you don't leave out your little brothers either. David and Benji stick by your sides. You, Claire and David fall asleep chatting with each other every night. Benji spends his time giggling after you all. He knows that he is safe with you and you will always love him and take care of him.

I love you and your perfect scattering of freckles!

Love,

Tara


No comments: