Dave and I were in charge of the Thatcher Family Reunion this year. This is a daunting task when there are ten kids in Dave's immediate family and 31 grandchildren. We choose to go to Southern Alberta, Canada where Dave's mom grew up. We quickly enlisted Dave's mom to help, who then quickly enlisted her siblings who still live in Canada to help. This proved to be a huge stroke of luck for us, as they pretty much took over planning of the reunion and it ended up to be one of the most amazing trips ever. We were there for five days and each moment was packed from sun-up to sundown (the sun didn't got down until midnight each night so we really packed it in). We stayed in a lodge that fit ALL OF US. We left happy, dirty, exhausted and with plans to return as soon as possible.
Day One: We arrived to breath-taking Canada via Great Falls, Montana, which was eye-popping as well. We went straight to the Smith Family Reunion (at my mother-in-law, Linda's, mom's family home) and couldn't resist right after heading to the ranch were Linda grew up. The kids quickly found the kitties in the barn which basically MADE their trip.
Day Two: The Hutterite colony and the family rodeo. I was thinking a couple of horses and us looking like rodeo clowns on them, but this was the real deal. We still looked like clowns, but they had barrel racing, mutton busting, steer wrestling (yep, Dave was the first to wrestle one to the ground--so proud), and tons of games on and off the horses for the kids.
Day Three: The Reeder Ranch walking tour. This is the home where Linda grew up and the hills she worked and played in as a kid. It was sensational roaming the fields in search of each mapped out station where Linda's family shared stories and mementos from their childhood. After, we went to Linda's family's summer home for a bonfire. It has been ruined by vandals through the years, but the property was stunning. This happened to be my birthday too and Heavenly Father gave me an incredible gift. When we drove into Canada we kept passing these lush, green pastures dotted with wild flowers. After seeing them, I knew before I left Canada I had to go and pick wild flowers with my girls, but as the days progressed we just never found the time. On day three I thought to myself that I could get up at 6am the next day, have Dave watch Baby D and take the girls out to make sure it happened. God had a bigger plan for me though because while we were at Linda's family's summer home Linda took us on a short tour to the higher pastures, Dave's sister, Angie, disappeared with Baby D, and Dave, me and the girls got lost for an hour picking wildflowers in the setting sun. The fields were spectacular--the prettiest I have ever seen. And I just thought this is one of those moments I will remember forever.
Day Four: Hiking to Crandall Lake in Glacier National Park, horse back riding and a family get together at the lodge with target shooting included.
Day Five: Exploring Wateron and more of Glacier.
Special shout out to MaRea, Dave's very talented sis, who took all of the good photos I posted. The rest were iPhone photos which were all I could manage wearing the baby the whole time (who also deserves a special shout out for being the BEST traveler ever).
THANKSGIVING THOUGHTS 2019
6 years ago







6 comments:
The photographs were wonderful. What a fun adventure for your little girls and you of course.
what a fun post!!! You are right...these pics are FAB!!! thanks for sharing your trip with us, we had a blast too!!!
Lynette
As we are looking at these pictures Austin says, "Look mom, Claire's Dad in finally back!" Whatever that means, I think she is glad you ALL got to go on this trip! My Mom's fam is from southern Alberta as well. I have great memories of being at places just like in these pics!
those pictures are amazing, although the bull ones made me very nervous.
What a beautiful recap of such a wonderful family vacation!! I was wishing that we had more time there asthe last day was nearing to an end.
beautiful country, looks like you guys had a lot of fun.
Post a Comment