Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I want to change the world, instead I sleep...

As Ingrid Michaelson says, despite my best intentions I've spent a lot of time sleeping lately. In fact, I've spent so much time catnapping that I literally had 40 alarm clock times saved in my cell phone. Odd times wake up times too, such as 11:47am (just in time to go and pick up C from pre-school), 1:45pm (enough time to snooze once before getting up to check my work email before the end of the NY work day) and 6:18pm (building in a few minutes to get the house together before Dave gets home and thinks I have just been napping all day). Granted the catnaps are usually about seven or eight minutes long, thus the reason I need 40 wake up times. You would think I wouldn't even need a wake up time with C and Kens around, but the crazy thing is I can sleep soundly through absolute bedlam. I wake up with crowns on my head, stickers on my feet, pen marks in books on a kid's lap who is sitting on my back. Bottom line, this baby is wiping me out, even with an unprecedented bedtime of 8:30pm for a self-declared night owl. Prime time TV, what's that? Current events, no clue. My time, doesn't exist (at least during rousing hours). I thought fatigue was the curse of the first and third trimester. Why at 26 weeks? I'm exercising, stocking up on ZZZ's, eating pretty good and getting fresh air. What gives?

12 comments:

MaRea Hess said...

You make me tired just reading your post. Oh, pregnancy its all true it's like an outer space alien takes over our bodies and is making all the choices. Good thing babies smell devine for the first two months of life. Good luck, get your ZZZZ's:)!

Melissa Thatcher said...

You deserve it! Take that rest, girl.

Karley said...

Lets see, you do SO much for others and are always going, going going. Plus you are an amazing looking 30 something Mom who is having a boy. And, for a mom who had a really big baby last time around who happened to be a girl-who knows how much this big boy takes from you. SLEEP AWAY SISTA! You deserve it like no one else. Miss you!

Melissa said...

Baby #3 totally wiped me out. I felt like I could barely move - especially the last half of my pregnancy. Take advantage of the times you can nap!

Katie said...

Sounds like you have a great system. What a gift, to sleep through all the craziness!

Charmaine Anderson said...

You have plenty of years to change the world right now you just need to be a mom as best you can between naps. This too shall pass and besides it takes 2 years to feel good again after you have a baby.

Lindsey Smith said...

maybe there is another little guy hiding in there. When I hit about 29 weeks with the twins I was EXHAUSTED. WOuldn't that be great, you could have 2 for the price of one;) MaRea is right, just reading your post was making me sleepy. Can't wait to see you guys next month!

Lizzie said...

So sorry. It's such a bummer. With kids, you just can't create more time to sleep. But I'm loving the idea of all the alarm times....might have to try it. = )

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Lucky. I can't nap if I try! And I could really use a nap now and then. I'm glad you can though. You deserve it!

Lillie said...

This was a great read. I'm picturing you waking up to a permanent marker mustache one of these days... I'll be looking for that at preschool pick up.

Rachelle said...

I'm telling you, there's something about the 3rd child...not just the 3rd pregnancy, because I was soooo exhausted with this last one and I hadn't even carried my first. I think age too played a big role. Sorry honey, but it's true that we aren't getting any younger.
Hope all goes well despite the sleepies that still haven't gone away, and he's 10 mos. Miss you guys!

eyre blog said...

oh Tara! this sounds all to familiar. I felt like i was in a coma most of the time with #3. I feel for you right now. let your body rest. it is working HARD to get that baby here!!