The day before yesterday my neighbor, Rose, and her two daughters came over to my house. Rose explained that she woke up at 3am thinking about Kennedy who had been sick for the past two weeks. She said she prayed for Kennedy that she would get better until she feel back asleep. Just prior to coming over she said that she remembered that her last impression before falling back asleep was that she needed to come and "pray on Kennedy" the next day. So she did. And brought her daughters too. The all circled around my beautiful baby and said the most touching prayer of healing drawing on the saving powers of the blood of the Lamb. Of course, on their way out Claire wanted a prayer too. So she got one as well--more of a preventative healing prayer since she isn't the slightest bit sick.
This is the same family that has a prayer board in their garage that anyone, including friends and neighbors, can post a name to or a need and their family will pray for it. I was on a walk with my girls one day and glanced in their garage and saw that someone in the family had put each my families individual names on it. This is also the same mother that after hearing I was worried about doing a natural birth with Kennedy "prayed on" me while at the mail box and asked that as I labored the thought would fill my mind "Perfect love casteth out all fear". And it was.
How do these type of people--prayerful people, unashamed people, blessed people--come about and how do I become one? The same type of people like a woman who stopped me on the streets of New York when I was pregnant with Claire and asked if she could bless my baby. A little skeptically I said, "Why not." and she then and there she made the sign of the cross right on my big belly. The same type of people like one of my old co-workers who arranged a weekly prayer and devotional group during Lent. The same type of people like my mother-in-law who prayers readily and willingly and invites others to do the same with her for almost any cause that is meaningful to the people she loves.
I want more of this in my life. I guess in thinking about what I want to do differently, or better this year, I want to envelop myself in prayers and gratitude and be courageous in sharing them with others. I want to be spontaneous about prayer and listen to the Spirit about when, how and what to ask for. I want to bless other people, the way I have been blessed by prayer. It will be hard. I am used to deliberate prayer, in scripted situations and free-flowing prayer will be a stretch for me, but I need it. And Kennedy needed it to. She is up and on the run again, just where she should be.
10 comments:
There are so many very good people in the world and it is nice to be reminded of that when we tend to focus on the discouraging at times. Your resolution may be the most worthy one I have ever heard. I read something recently that the reason most resolutions are not kept is that we really don't want to do them...we just think that we should. So, something has to "educate our desires" (Neil Maxwell) and I believe when the spirit touches us as this has you then the desire is the spiritual power to do it. Thanks for sharing this as it sparked a desire in me also.
What an awesome post. There are some things I really love about our neighborhood!
You have the best "deep" thoughts!!! I LOVE reading them
I'm so sorry that Kennedy has been so sick. This explains why you weren't at the movies with Dave and the rest of the Thatchers. Loved this post and what great neighbors you have!!!!
Sorry to hear Kennedy wasn't feeling well, but I glad she is on the mend. Sometimes life gets so busy that it's easy to overlook what the people around us need. Thanks for the reminder.
Beautiful Post. So sorry about Kennedy not feeling well, it's hard when they are so little. I love how people from all different walks of life, can give so much.
What a great resolution. Praying in that way. My mom talked about how her grandma prayed--she prayed in a way to God that it seemed like she was talking to a friend--so sincere. I hope that I can do the same and be mindful when I pray.
on another note, I didn't know you did a natural birth--I did with Davey, and it was remarkably a good experience.
thanks for sharing your thoughts tara. i am also amazed by people that are so fully devoted to prayer, i need to be more like that.
I have resolved this year to surround myself with more people like you! People that inspire me, people that are grateful and good. Thanks for sharing such a neat experience.
Rad post. I'm truly inspired.
Great post, T! Glad K is back up and scootin' along...
Post a Comment