A couple of weeks ago I got an unexpected surprise in the mail--two letters that were sent over eight years ago. One was from my now sister-in-law who sent a letter asking me to be one of her bridesmaids, sent from the lovely island of Oahu, and the other came from my dear friend Freddie all the way from Muenster, Germany. I received them after reconnecting with a friend from the first building I lived in on the UWS in New York. After I moved (leaving no forwarding address) they arrived in the post and just got pinned to the bulletin board in our apartment building. He saw them, noticed that they came from exotic locations, and thought he would hold on to them in case our paths crossed again. Thanks to Facebook we found each other after all these years. The letters still had a journey ahead of them though. My friend, Bernard, has since moved to Brazil. At the time we reconnected he had a friend from the states visiting him so he sent them back with him and then the gracious friend dropped them in the post to arrive in my box just few days later.You can't imagine how much fun it was to get a letter that was eight years old. Bernard hadn't mentioned who or where they were from so the anticipation really built. When I got them I felt like I had been given this amazing gift of a peek into my past life. Laurel's was clever and creative and Freddie's was detailed and long. Both made me remember why I love the hand-written word so much.
The receipt of the letters made me go into a sort of tech funk. I started thinking abut how much I used to love checking my mail and sorting though it looking for "homey" hand writing. When I would see a familiar print I was absolutely delighted. I loved the shapes of the envelopes, the well chosen stamps and even the texture of the paper. Each letter was unique, each was re-read and each was treasured. In fact I think I have almost every letter I have ever received, and I am not a pack rat. I rarely get letters anymore, except on holidays, and even then it is usually a hastily printed label and a store bought card with a family photo emblazoned on it. Don't take me off of your Christmas card list just yet, I like photo cards and send them too, but I miss the personal missives I used to send and receive. I miss my writing finger callous. I miss thinking about what kind of stamp to buy, paper to use or even individualized envelope to make (I used to make the most clever envelopes out of magazines and European chocolate bar wrappers) for certain friends. I miss the thought that went into figuring out how much to share and with whom and deciding who would get your deepest thoughts, dreams, worries and feelings. I miss my grandma sending little poems, my mom sending letters with sketches in the margins and my husband who used to send cards of a particular brand that you could only find at Kate's Paperie. I miss letters from family and friends who sent odds and ends from their lives, from music mixes and photos to eccentric items such as envelope with volcano ash like the one I received from my brother who lived by an active Japanese volcano and a tire flattened Cane Toad, that nearly made me fall down laughing, that an old roommate at BYU-Hawaii sent me.
There is a short high that comes from hearing the you've got mail or a text tone, but there is nothing that compares to the eagerness of tearing open a letter before you can even get to your door, carefully reading it with attention to even the slightest nuance and then savoring each word. Our familiarity and ease in communication sometimes feels like it is breeding superficialness and lack of genuine and personal thought.
Indulge me, send me a letter, or even a post card. The old school kind that is written just for me. It doesn't have to be detailed or long, contemplative or even creative, unless, of course, you want it to be. I think it will buoy me up just enough to get out of my tech funk and I promise to send one back. Or if you really want to make a fan, send my mamacita Claire one (who every time I call her that says, "No mommy, I am just a little girl). She loves letters and has even taken to grabbing every catalog that comes though our door and claiming that Grandma sent it to her.
7 comments:
AMEN!! I've been going through my mission letters recently; my mom found the scrapbooks in an upstairs closet. I love seeing my mom's handwriting, and mine back to her. I love the childhood scrawl of my siblings. The stories and emotions are more ALIVE when they're written by hand. Email and blogs are useful, but letters are priceless!
I really had forgotten some of that emotion. I still love buying cards and stationery with people in mind, or just to match a mood. Most of the collection sits in a box in my basement.
I'll send you a letter. Just send along your address by email (holly@teamlesan.org) and I'll go down to the stationery box and pen you some thoughts.
I teach writing classes on "Writing Family Stories" One of the six classes is on letters. The daughter of David McCullough wrote a book I use called "Letters of Great Americans to Their Children." In the forward David said "Maybe some of the e-mail will survive, but I doubt it. How will future generations ever come to know us?...Beyond that we're denying ourselves the pleasures and benefits of putting our thoughts and feelings down in words of our own. Nothing so fucuses the mind as writing. We've all known the experience of a new idea or insights coming suddenly, almost miracously to mind, as we write..." I see many of you in the younger generation blogging which I think is wonderful and perhaps it will fill in the letter gap. Make sure you save your blogs!
I love what Charmaine wrote because I think I do use blogs as a form of letter. I feel like it's my only link to the random things that happen in day to day life with my friends. However, it will never replace getting a letter. I've saved all my letters from throughout my life in a big rusty metal tin. Every ten years or so I pull them out and remember stories I've forgotten. I do miss them- writing them, getting them.
So glad I was able to convince you to be a bridesmaid even without the clever correspondence to that end ever actually making it to you... I hear you, though. When I get the occasional thank you note or package in the mail with handwritten address I too feel my excitement rise. There's just something exciting about opening up a letter. A friend from Japan sent a package with letters from her students-- all hand written and in broken English. It made my week. I thought about sending typed letters back (so easy to cut and paste the basics...) but I opted for handwritten notes back and I'm so glad I did. There is that little extra personal connection in the handwriting, paper selection, signature... We won't let Claire & K miss out.
well put. riley and i fight over any good mail. we now have a standing rule that only if it has your name on it then you can open it. i love good mail because these days all you ever get id bills and junk. i totaly agree with you, a short note is the best little gift you can get.
I had sort of convinced myself others didn't treasure communication like I do. Thought maybe it meant I cared too much about what other people were doing or thinking rather than just living my life. But that's what our lives are all about--- our relationships and communication. I totally get that little high when my blackberry is blinking red with text or email and it really is amazing how a handwritten non-business-sized envelope practically DIVES to the top of the stack on the way from the mail box to the car... I can't even make it back home before I open it. Unless I really want to savor it and make a point to get home, and get comfy... and THEN open it for full effect.
It's like I'm craving a letter now. This is inspiring me-- make me want to write a real letter to people i love. thanks. :)
So, I've written you guys several snail main letters but don't have your address. So then I called to get your address and your phone numbers have been changed. Do I need to stop taking this personally?
xo
Lisa DeSpain
PS. Send me your address AND phone numbers PLEASE!!!!
Post a Comment