Over Labor Day weekend, we flew to New York with some friends for a quick weekend trip to see the US Open and after Dave and I reflected on what we like about the city most and we both agreed that it is not the theater, the arts, the cosmopolitan way of life, or even the food (and you know that is a huge draw), but more simply how it feels. We both love the expected and the unexpected that you encounter living in The City--the way every corner holds a surprise, but yet again not really. New York has multiple faces from Madison Avenue posh and Alphabet City grunge to Lower East Side nostalgia and Times Square modernity and hidden in each of these areas are remarkable areas of solitude and even peace. We just love it all and when we went back we realized we just missed her face.
To give you a picture of what we mean, we compiled a video of our favorite pics from NY (all from our lens). They are far from professional, but I think you will get a feel for the face of NY and why we just miss looking at her from all angles. The last pics are taken from Dave's last drive out of the city on his way to California. I still get sniffles as I watch his shots from the rear view mirror.
10 comments:
i'm sad i missed you guys while you were in town. it's nice to reminice!
love the pics. NYC misses you guys too and can't wait for you to come back soon.
This made me miss ny sooo much. what awesome memories!!!
Finding your layer of perspective on sooo many interpretations of perspective, made me think about how ALL that humanity needs every adam and electron to play out, to work out, even to just be, and that, that has got to create some kind of electricity.
By the way, your take on it all was really somthing. I found myself wanting some of those pictures for my back ground, wall-paper... what ever you call it, on my computer.
Before visiting NYC in July I would have never understood this post. I just didn't get it. I couldn't imagine what would be so great about just another huge city. But now, having been there, even for just a short time... I get it.
Thanks for posting this. :-)
(Dave's cousin Amy)
BWAAAAH!!!!!! *SOB* Let's all go back.
It's nice to see pictures of the city again. In fact, I believe I was with you for one or two of those shots, which only made me miss NY and you all the more! Sometimes I just miss turning on my IPOD and walking the streets to my own soundtrack. It was hard to be bored NY.
Um, seriously!? You are calling those "far from professional?" Those look pretty darn good to me. Glad to see this post, and appreciate again this incredible city. In fact, I think I'll get dressed and get out of the house before noon today! :)
great pictures! it was so fun to see you guys...we mis having you here : )
this post definitely means that you guys should move back, right?
Post a Comment